MADISON, Wis. - Saturday afternoon at the Alliant Energy Center, Verona won its first boys hockey state championship as the team defeated Onalaska 6-1.
The Wildcats dominated for the entirety of the game. In the first period, Brogan Baker collected a Verona rebound and backhanded it into the goal to give the Wildcats a 1-0 lead.
In the second period the flood gates opened. Phillippe Fromberger fired a wrister from the point that found the back of the net to make it 2-0 Verona.
Four minutes later, Fromberger scored again. This time he took the puck on a breakaway, avoided a defender, and scored to make it 3-0 'Cats. Charlie Parker added another goal to make it 4-0 Verona at the end of the second.
Onalaska managed to get on the board in the third period with a Luke Tepp goal, but Verona tacked on two more in the third to win it 6-1. It is Verona's first ever Boys Hockey State Championship.
- Thunder's Kanter wants to be US citizen, getting death threats
- Bryant smacks 2 HRs to back Arrieta; Cubs rout Brewers 13-6
- Badgers fall short in NCAA Regional Championship
- Bradley's 3-pointer gives Celtics 111-108 win over Cavs
- Brewers 1B Eric Thames leaves Cubs game with leg cramping
- Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun activated from 10-day DL