GRAND CHUTE, Wis. - The Sun Prairie Cardinals needed extra innings to do it, but the team is the division 1 state baseball champions again.
The Cardinals beat Stevens Point in Grand Chute 5-4 Thursday night in eight innings to win the championship.
Sun Prairie won 23 straight games to end its season.
The Cardinals took the lead after Ryan Curran got an RBI single that drove in Michael Markase to give Sun Prairie the lead.
They took a 4-2 lead into the bottom of the seventh, when Stevens Point's Sterling King hit a 2-run single with two outs to tie the game.
However, Sun Prairie came back in the eighth. Conner Funnel hit an RBI double to give the Cardinals the lead. They held on in the bottom of the eighth to keep the title.
Sun Prairie finishes the season at 25-2.Sun Prairie wins state baseball title
- Harden leads Rockets past Bucks, 111-92
- Packers WR Adams not expected to practice until weekend
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot