Milwaukee, WIS. - The Waunakee girls soccer team defeated Rhinelander 3-0 Friday afternoon in Milwaukee in the Division 2 state semifinals.
Waunakee will face Waukesha West Saturday at 3 p.m. in the Division 2 state final.
Grace Lujan started the scoring the 15th minute when she scored off a kick from 20 yards out. Abby Schoepp scored on a rebound goal in the 20th minute.
Waunakee led 2-0 at the half. Maddie Shaw added a second half goal.
"I have been coaching for so long, this is one of the most rewarding years. We had to work hard and we lost 12 seniors last year," said head coach Jesus Torres.
"This is the first time we have been back to state in a really long time so I just knew I had to take a shot," said Lujan about her goal.
Waunakee lost to Waukesha West earlier in the season,so they hope for a different result Saturday.
"Now I am ready to get it going tomorrow. I am excited we get to play them again, and we have already played them before but more than half of our starters were out and we lost, so I am just excited for tomorrow to redeem ourselves," said Waunakee sophomore defender Jada Dayne.
This is Waunakee's second trip to state. They finished Div. 1 state runners up in 2008.
- Anteokounmpo named NBA All-Star starter
- Ohio State stops Wisconsin, 70-61
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Blackmon's 3-pointer lifts Indiana over Penn State, 78-75
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame