SURPRISE, Ariz. - Chris Getz went 6 for 6, James Shields pitched five strong innings and a Kansas City Royals split squad and the Chicago Cubs played to a 9-9 tie in 10 innings Wednesday night.
Getz doubled, tripled and drove in two runs, raising his average to .450. Lorenzo Cain, Mike Moustakas, Salvador Perez and Alex Gordon homered for the Royals, who are 23-7-2.
Shields, who will start Monday against the Chicago White Sox on opening day, held the Cubs to three singles and two runs over five innings, walking one and striking out four while throwing 37 strikes in 57 pitches.
Cubs right-hander Scott Feldman gave up seven runs on 12 hits. Feldman, who is penciled in as the Cubs' No. 4 starter, has an 11.25 ERA in six spring training starts, allowing 25 runs and 38 hits, including seven home runs, in 19 innings.
- Anteokounmpo named NBA All-Star starter
- Ohio State stops Wisconsin, 70-61
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Blackmon's 3-pointer lifts Indiana over Penn State, 78-75
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame