LINCOLN, NE - Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini has received a strong endorsement from new athletic director Shawn Eichorst .
Eichorst said in an interview with The Associated Press that he admires how Pelini runs the Cornhuskers' program and that he believes Pelini is on track to end a conference-championship drought that dates to 1999.
The Huskers were 10-4 this past season, finishing with a 39-point loss to Wisconsin in the Big Ten championship game and a 14-point loss to Georgia in the Capital One Bowl.
Eichorst said even though the season ended in disappointment, the Huskers are "not far away" from a Big Ten title.
Eichorst called Pelini "an excellent coach, character-based, fundamentally sound."
Eichorst said he's impressed with the discipline and academic achievement of the players.
- Anteokounmpo named NBA All-Star starter
- Ohio State stops Wisconsin, 70-61
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Blackmon's 3-pointer lifts Indiana over Penn State, 78-75
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame