MILWAUKEE - Shortstop Alex Gonzalez and the Milwaukee Brewers have finalized a $1.45 million, one-year contract.
The deal, agreed to Jan. 29 and completed Wednesday, allows Gonzalez to earn an additional $800,000 in performance bonuses: $100,000 each for 45, 60, 70 and 90 games played, and $100,000 apiece for 45, 60, 70 and 90 starts.
Gonzalez, 35, hit .259 last year in his first season with the Brewers and had four homers and 15 RBIs in 81 at-bats.
He took the spot on the 40-man roster of right-hander Fautino De Los Santos, who was claimed off waivers by the San Diego Padres.
Milwaukee obtained the reliever from Oakland last July in the deal that sent catcher George Kottaras to the Athletics.
- Kawhi Leonard scores 29 as Spurs put out Grizzlies
- No new names join Packers during first round of NFL draft
- Steelers select TJ Watt with 30th pick
- Ryan Ramczyk selected by Saints with 32nd pick
- Raptors blow 25-point lead, but beat Bucks 92-89
- Pirates beat Cubs 6-5 as Ngoepe becomes first African in MLB