SAN DIEGO - Jett Bandy singled in the go-ahead run with one out in the ninth inning and the Milwaukee Brewers beat the San Diego Padres 3-1 on Wednesday night to take over first place in the NL Central.
The Brewers won for the fifth time in six games. They overtook St. Louis, which lost to Boston.
The Brewers had only two hits going into the ninth before getting four straight with one out against reliever Brandon Maurer (0-3). Travis Shaw, who missed the previous two games with a swollen right index finger, started the rally with a double to left. Domingo Santana reached on a single that glanced off the glove of leaping shortstop Erick Aybar, and Bandy hit a bouncer up the middle to score Shaw. Keon Broxton singled to load the bases and Santana scored on Orlando Arcia's groundout.
Jacob Barnes (1-0) pitched the eighth for the win and Corey Knebel pitched the ninth for his second save.
- Rosier helps No. 3 Miami survive scare from Virginia
- Badgers stay undefeated with 24-10 win over Michigan, make case for playoff spot
- Sun Prairie falls short in WIAA Div. 1 football final
- Waunakee wins WIAA Div. 2 State football title
- Lodi wins WIAA State Div. 4 football championship
- Warriors score comeback win over Brookfield Central