MADISON - Keith Appling scored 19 points and Branden Dawson added 18 to lead No. 13 Michigan State to a 49-47 victory over Wisconsin on Tuesday night.
Mike Bruesewitz led Wisconsin (13-6, 4-2 Big Ten) with 10 points.
Both teams went more than 4 minutes without scoring down the stretch. Dawson broke the drought, hitting one of two from the free throw line to put the Spartans (17-3, 6-1) up 48-44 with just over 2 minutes left.
Ryan Evans' 3-pointer from the wing with 17 seconds left pulled Wisconsin within 48-47.
Michigan State freshman Gary Harris was fouled and hit front end of a 1-and-1, but rimmed out the second, leaving Michigan State up 49-47.
Wisconsin's George Marshall, who missed practice Monday because he was sick, was fouled with 3.5 seconds left.
He missed the first free throw and intentionally tried to miss the second but he didn't draw iron, giving the ball to the Spartans.
Wisconsin shot 30 percent (16-54) from the field and 39 percent (7-18) from the free throw line.
- No new names join Packers during first round of NFL draft
- Steelers select TJ Watt with 30th pick
- Ryan Ramczyk selected by Saints with 32nd pick
- Raptors blow 25-point lead, but beat Bucks 92-89
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway to ban smoking in grandstands
- Pirates beat Cubs 6-5 as Ngoepe becomes first African in MLB