ANN ARBOR, Mich. - As well as the Badgers softball team played Friday night, it didn't help them Saturday when Michigan started hot and never cooled off. The Wolverines thumped UW 10-1.
Michigan started fast. They scored two early runs on a SAC fly and a UW throwing error to take a 2-0 lead.
The Badgers only moment off hope occurred when Ashley Van Zeeland hit a chopper that stopped just a few feet in front of home plate. Michelle Mueller scored and cut the Michigan lead to one.
From there, it was all Michigan. In the third inning, doubles by Caitlin Blanchard and Lauren Sweet drove in three runs to make it 5-1.
Wisconsin never recovered. Michigan tacked on five more in the bottom of the sixth to seal the win, 10-1.
The Badgers and Wolverines play again Sunday at noon.
- Anteokounmpo named NBA All-Star starter
- Ohio State stops Wisconsin, 70-61
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Blackmon's 3-pointer lifts Indiana over Penn State, 78-75
- Ohio St. steals 67-66 win from Nebraska on last-second shot
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame