OMAHA, MADISON - The Badger men's and women's hockey teams both posted victories Friday night.
Brendan Woods scored on a rebound goal with 1:42 left in the third period to give the men's team a 4-3 win at Nebraska-Omaha. Mark Zengerle, Michael Mersch and Joseph LaBate also scored for Wisconsin. Joel Rumpel had 24 saves in goal for the Badgers.
In Madison, the Badger women's hockey team won its first WCHA playoff game against St. Cloud State 5-0 to take a one-game lead in the best of three first round series.
Karley Sylvester scored Wisconsin's first goal with less than two minutes left in the first period.
In the second period, Brianna Decker and Madison Packer both scored to make it 2-0 Wisconsin.
Erika Sowchuk and Jordan Brickner added third period goals for the Badgers as Alex Rigsby made 17 saves in earning the shutout.
Game two of the series is Saturday night at 7 pm at LaBahn Arena.
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Davante Adams the latest Packer injury concern
- Late surge helps #17 Wisconsin beat Michigan
- Hinostroza rallies Blackhawks to 6-4 win over Avalanche
- Steelers' Brown apologizes for locker room video
- Rodgers appears on cover of Sports Illustrated