OAKLAND, Calif. - Brett Anderson outdueled fellow playoff first-timer Anibal Sanchez and received stellar defense all over the diamond, and the upstart Oakland Athletics avoided another playoff sweep by Detroit, beating the Tigers 2-0 Tuesday night in their AL division series.
The A's cut their deficit in the best-of-five matchup to 2-1.
Coco Crisp saved a likely home run by Prince Fielder with a leaping catch at the top of the center-field wall in the second -- and the A's will play another day in this improbable season full of remarkable rallies.
Yoenis Cespedes hit an RBI single in the first inning and Seth Smith homered later. That was plenty on a night Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera, Fielder and the Tigers' high-priced offense were shut down by the low-budget A's.
- Australian Open 2017: Nadal beats Zverev in four-hour epic
- Rodgers: Cold-flu won't keep him from game vs. Falcons
- Gov. Walker declares Friday ‘Green and Gold Day'
- Adams may be game-time decision on Sunday for Green Bay
- Sprained toe won't keep Jones from playing against Packers
- Pitcher Feliz joins Brewers, in mix for closer job