(CNN) -- Reaction poured in Monday to the death of Jerry Buss, who had owned the Los Angeles Lakers since 1979. "Today is a very sad day for all the Lakers and basketball," said Laker Pau Gasol in a Twitter posting. "All my support and condolences to the Buss family. Rest in peace Dr. Buss." "My thoughts and prayers are with the family & friends of Dr. Jerry Buss," said Earvin "Magic" Johnson, the retired Laker guard, in a posting on his Twitter account. "He was a great man and an incredible friend." "I'm deeply saddened over da loss of the great Dr. Jerry Buss," said Shaquille O'Neal, who played for the Lakers from 1996-2004, in a posting on his Twitter account. "He was a dear friend, mentor,and brilliant business mind thank u 4 8 gr8 yrs."
Latest Sports Headlines
- 2014 World Cup: Brazil vs. Croatia in opener
- Florida State, Auburn to square off for national championship
- UW heads to Capital One Bowl
- Badgers vs. South Carolina in Capital One Bowl
- Palmer, Cardinals easily beat Rams
- 2013-14 college football bowl roundup: Who's going where?
- Report: German president to boycott Olympics
- Broncos trounce Titans behind Manning, Prater
- Packers end 5-game slide, beat Falcons 22-21
- Fundraiser brings Kenya runners to U.S.