The Buffalo Sabres will be without leading scorer Thomas Vanek for a second straight game, coach Ron Rolston announced Sunday prior to his team's game against the New York Rangers. Vanek was absent from the Sabres' 4-3 shootout victory against the New Jersey Devils on Saturday, and the team hoped he'd able to face the Rangers at Madison Square Garden. Rolston said Vanek is "close," but just not ready. "We're hoping [for Tuesday at Carolina]," Rolston said. "For his best interest and the best interest of the team, we decided to hold him out [Sunday]. He won't be able to go, but we're very hopeful he'll be able to go on Tuesday."
Latest Sports Headlines
- New rules to ban 'anchored' putters from 2016
- Pick Six: Shannel Blackshear
- Sun Prairie girls, Middleton boys win WIAA track regional
- Dodgers stop Brewers 3-1
- Dodgers: No plans to fire Mattingly
- NFL close to moving draft to May
- NBA draft lottery winner still facing roll of dice
- Alabama auctions off broken BCS trophy
- Pac-12's Scott highest paid commissioner
- Vick calls critics 'ignorant'