Islanders 2, Lightning 0: John Tavares scored a power-play goal in the second period and Evgeni Nabokov made 18 saves for his second shutout as visiting New York topped Tampa Bay.Tavares recorded his 17th goal and eighth with the man advantage as the Islanders beat the Lightning for the sixth time in eight meetings. Nabokov earned his 54th career shutout and Brad Boyes scored an empty-netter with 39.4 seconds remaining while adding an assist.Anders Lindback made 27 saves for the Lightning, who have lost eight of their last 10. The league's leading goal scorer, Steven Stamkos registered three shots for Tampa Bay.The Islanders, who had a 22-12 edge in shots over the first two periods, broke the scoreless tie midway through the second session. Matt Moulson got to a deflected shot in the slot and backhanded a pass to the left post, where Tavares swept it home at 10:22.Lindback kept the Lightning in it with a sprawling pad save on Marty Reasoner with 13:36 left. The Islanders killed off a penalty with less than 10 minutes remaining and sealed it with Boyes' seventh goal, assisted by defenseman Andrew MacDonald.GAME NOTEBOOK: Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier was placed on injured reserve Thursday with a lower-body injury and C Tom Pyatt was scratched with an upper-body injury, allowing C Tyler Johnson to make his NHL debut. He played 11:39 and was 2-for-6 on faceoffs. … The Islanders led the league in road power-play percentage (29.4) coming into the night and went 1-for-1. … The Lightning are 1-7-1 at home since a 5-0-0 start.
Latest Sports Headlines
- Garcia's sponsorship deal under review
- Danks will rejoin White Sox's rotation Friday
- Penguins explode in third, take 3-1 series lead
- Flock, Petty, Jarrett, Ingram, Roberts named to NASCAR HOF
- Does basketball star's massive back tattoo have a typo?
- Canseco accused of sexual assault in Las Vegas
- James' layup at OT buzzer lifts Heat over Pacers
- Boys golf team has unique number one
- Dodgers pound Brewers 9-2
- Jets rookie QB settles on Jay-Z as agent