No. 24 Creighton 96, No. 5 Villanova 68: Ethan Wragge scored a career-high 27 points - tying a school record with nine 3-pointers - as the visiting Bluejays upended the Wildcats to move into first place in the Big East.Wragge finished 9-for-14 from 3-point range, leading a red-hot perimeter attack as Creighton (16-3, 6-1) rebounded from Saturday's loss at Providence that snapped a 10-game winning streak. Doug McDermott scored 23 points and Jahenns Manigat added 19, and the Bluejays shot 21-for-35 from beyond the arc to set school and Big East records for most 3-pointers made in a game.James Bell scored 19 points to lead Villanova (16-2, 5-1), which shot 39.7 percent from the field as its five-game winning streak ended. JayVaughn Pinkston added 11 points.The Bluejays hit their first seven shots - all 3-pointers, five by Wragge - in sprinting to a 21-5 lead a little more than four minutes into the contest. Two more Wragge 3-pointers extended the advantage to 27-8 with a little less than 14 minutes to play in the half, and while Villanova used a 13-0 run to cut a 47-19 deficit to 47-32, Wragge halted the surge with his eighth 3-pointer of the half. The Bluejays led 54-41 at halftime and sealed the victory with a 28-4 run early in the second half, with McDermott hitting three 3-pointers during the spurt. Devin Brooks capped the run with a layup to make it 84-47 midway through the second half, and the Bluejays led by as many as 40 points in the final minutes.GAME NOTEBOOK: Creighton, which came into the game leading the nation at 18.1 assists per game, finished with 25. … Wragge shot 8-for-10 from 3-point range in the first half, surpassing his previous career high of 22 points with 3:19 left before halftime. … The Wildcats started the day 24th in the country in scoring at 81.3 but were held to their lowest output since a 78-62 loss at Syracuse on Dec. 28.
Latest Sports Headlines
- Stoughton, Sauk fall at team state wrestling
- Verona does it again: Wildcats knock off No. 1 Green Bay Notre Dame 1-0
- Girls Basketball Regional Basketball Scores
- Michael Schumacher 'still in wake-up phase'
- Army to face Connecticut in Yankee Stadium
- Fan runs on floor, confronts Hawaii coach
- Brewers' Braun not frying under magnifying glass so far
- MLB roundup: Red Sox reliever returns after infant son's death
- Tommy John surgeon Jobe dies at 88
- McGinley names Ryder Cup vice captains