Forward Matt Calvert has signed a two-year, $1.975-million contract extension with the Blue Jackets. Calvert, 23, has nine goals and seven assists with 32 penalty minutes in 42 games this season and has 20-19-39 in 97 games for the Blue Jackets since making his debut in 2010-11. He spent most of last season with AHL Springfield but had solidified his standing as an everyday, two-way winger this season before suffering a broken finger during a 2-1 loss at Los Angeles on Thursday. He is not expected to play in either of the Jackets’ remaining two games. Calvert was selected by the Blue Jackets in the fifth round of the 2010 draft and signed a two-way, entry-level contract in March 2010. He would have been a restricted free agent at the conclusion of the season.
Latest Sports Headlines
- 2014 World Cup: Brazil vs. Croatia in opener
- Florida State, Auburn to square off for national championship
- UW heads to Capital One Bowl
- Badgers vs. South Carolina in Capital One Bowl
- Palmer, Cardinals easily beat Rams
- 2013-14 college football bowl roundup: Who's going where?
- Report: German president to boycott Olympics
- Broncos trounce Titans behind Manning, Prater
- Packers end 5-game slide, beat Falcons 22-21
- Fundraiser brings Kenya runners to U.S.