The Miami Dolphins had all of last season and part of this offseason to sign Jake Long. They were unable to do so. Even with Long reaching the end of a two-day visit with the St. Louis Rams, that doesn't mean the Dolphins are out of it. The team that drafted Long No. 1 overall in 2008 is mounting a charge to retain their left tackle, according to a person informed of the negotiations between the sides. The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity, said general manager Jeff Ireland and his team have been in communication with Long on Friday morning and are trying to bridge the gap they've had in previous negotiations.
Latest Sports Headlines
- Sochi 2014: Protest zones at Winter Olympics
- Cheerleader tries to trip player after score
- Report: Rodgers' return this week in doubt
- NFL roundup: Jones back Cowboys DC Kiffin
- MLB roundup: D-backs get Trumbo, Rockies acquire Anderson
- Reports: Boise State hires Arkansas State's Harsin
- Could Saban be Texas-bound?
- NFL to Super Bowl tailgaters: 1 parking spot per car
- Islanders rally in third, top Sharks in shootout
- Suns drop Lakers to 0-2 since Bryant's return