In 1890, John T. Murphy, originally from North Adams, Massachusetts, acquired his first newspaper in Superior, and his son, Morgan, carried that pioneering spirit into the electronic media, including radio, television, and cable interests.
Morgan Murphy's daughter, Elizabeth Murphy Burns, is the President of the Evening Telegram Company doing business as Morgan Murphy Media and has been responsible for moving this media company forward into the digital age.
Morgan Murphy Media operates television stations in Madison and La Crosse, Wisconsin (WISC-TV and My Network TV in Madison and WKBT-TV and My Network TV in La Crosse). Additionally, the company has television stations in three cities in Washington (KXLY-TV, Spokane; KAPP-TV, Yakima; KVEW-TV, Kennewick); plus five radio stations in Grant County in southwest Wisconsin and seven radio stations in and around Spokane, Washington.
Elizabeth Murphy Burns and John B. Murphy are also the owners of Madison Magazine and are a joint venturer in RXL Communications, which is a video and Internet production company based in St. Louis, MO.
- Wisconsin fans line up for ESPN's College GameDay
- Girl Scouts hosts event to encourage the pursuit of STEM careers
- Monroe woman makes quilts for pancreatic cancer patients in her community
- Milton family fed up with school district
- Silver Alert helps prevent tragedy
- Former Badger inspires thousands of fellow veterans to join disaster relief through nonprofit