MADISON, Wis. - Phyllis Leckrone, 81, the wife of UW Marching Band director Mike Leckrone, and the woman known to band members as “band mom” has died.
UW Marching Band spokesperson Jay Rath said, "She was a mother to generations of band students and her impact will live on in those countless lives."
“She loved the whole Badger Band Family. She was known to many alumni members as the band mom,” a post on the UW Band Alumni Association Facebook page said.
A native of North Manchester, Ind., Phyllis and Mike met in junior high school and became childhood sweethearts. They were married 62 years. Phyllis taught with the Middleton-Cross Plains school district for more than 25 years, according to a news release.
Leckrone died early Tuesday morning surrounded by family after a long illness, Rath said. She is survived by her husband, five children, eight grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
A visitation is scheduled 4-7 p.m. Thursday, and again from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday, at Holy Wisdom Monastery, 4200 County Road M in Middleton. The service will be held there at noon Friday. Interment will be private.
In lieu of flowers, the family asked that memorials be made to Phyliss's favorite charity, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, www.stjude.org/donate.
- Dredged muck from eastern Wisconsin lake to be repurposed
- Shots fired in east Madison after argument
- Report: Milwaukee County mom drugs slushy, rapes 10-year-old boy
- Madison man arrested for sixth OWI
- Local businesses say Clinton police have ‘harassment type mentality'
- Brodhead police search for man who reportedly threatened to bring gun to work