MADISON, Wis. - A utility pole was severed Sunday in a crash on East Washington Avenue that also involved an overturned car, according to a release from the Madison Fire Department.
Firefighters were called at 7:32 a.m. to the 1900 block of East Washington Avenue on a report of a crash.
The first crew at the scene found a Subaru Outback lying on its roof and the driver waiting on the sidewalk. A utility pole was completely severed at the base and leaning toward a house. The pole remained suspended by wires.
Firefighters contacted neighbors and told them to shelter in place toward the rear of their homes away from the electrical hazard.
The driver was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Three eastbound lanes of East Washington were temporarily shut down.
- Police: Woman leaves her child with neighbor to go shoplifting
- Bargain Nook fire causes US Highway 14 lanes close
- Dive team recovers 2 bodies from a river in Milwaukee
- Police: Evansville man faces 3rd OWI charge with a passenger under 16
- Fire on Johnson Street causes $10,000 worth of damage, officials say
- Evansville school staff to discuss security with police after attempted stabbing