MADISON, Wis. - Attorneys for a Wisconsin man convicted of homicide in a case featured on the Netflix series
"Making A Murderer" are asking a circuit court to reconsider a prior ruling rejecting a request for a new trial.
The motion for reconsideration filed on behalf of Steven Avery in Manitowoc County Monday says the latest request is based on new evidence and legal errors.
A judge earlier this month rejected Avery's request for a new trial, saying his attorneys failed to establish any grounds to warrant a new trial. Avery was sentenced to life in prison for the 2005 slaying of Teresa Halbach, a 25-year-old photographer. Avery maintains police framed him.
Some evidence cited in the latest motion includes claims that witnesses gave false testimony at the original trial.
- Dodge County Sheriff's Office to implement crash reduction strategy
- New $167M Wisconsin wind farm expected to power 25,000 homes
- University of Wisconsin-Superior suspends 25 programs
- Wisconsin fans line up for ESPN's College GameDay
- Girl Scouts hosts event to encourage the pursuit of STEM careers
- Monroe woman makes quilts for pancreatic cancer patients in her community