Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump will no longer be attending an event in Elkhorn following news that he made comments about being able to kiss and grope women because he was a celebrity, according to a statement from Rep. Paul Ryan.
In the statement Friday night, Ryan said he was "sickened" by Trump's comments, adding "women are to be championed and revered, not objectified. I hope Mr. Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests."
Ryan said Trump will no longer be attending the 1st Congressional District Republicans' annual Fall Fest. Trump had been expected to appear at the event with several notable Wisconsin Republicans, including Ryan, Sen. Ron Johnson, Gov. Scott Walker and Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Preibus.
In a statement, Trump said running mate Mike Pence will represent him Saturday in the state while he spends the day in New York with Priebus preparing for Sunday night's presidential debate in St. Louis.
"I've said some foolish things, but there's a big difference between the words and actions of other people."
Later Friday evening Walker tweeted: "Inexcusable. Trump's comments are inexcusable."
Johnson said in a statement that "Donald Trump's recent comments are completely indefensible and I refuse to even attempt to try and do so."
The event is a fundraiser for Republicans in the area, according to the event's website.
Trump posted a video on his Facebook page late Friday night in which he said he regretted the remarks. "Anyone who knows me knows these words don't reflect who I am. I said it, I was wrong and I apologize," Trump said in the video.
Trump also used the video to attack Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton and her husband, former president Bill Clinton, who Trump said intimidated, and, in the former president's case, abused women.