GREEN BAY, Wis. - Cassandra Nygren, the daughter of Marinette State Rep. John Nygren, is in the Brown County Jail facing several drug related charges, according to CBS affiliate WFRV in Green Bay.
Jail records show Nygren was booked on two counts of first-degree reckless homicide/deliver drugs in addition to other counts of manufacturing heroin and child neglect.
John Nygren said his daughter's arrest is an example of "the disastrous and destructive consequences" of addiction and a "strong reminder of how fragile the road to recovery is."
Cassandra Nygren became the focus of fighting the growing heroin epidemic in Wisconsin, led by her father, John Nygren. He was instrumental in passing laws to deal with the battle of opioid and heroin addiction in the state.
Nygren also extended condolences for the loss of life. In a statement, he said, "There are no words that we as a family can offer to give any real comfort for this tragic loss."
Cassandra Nygren is due in Brown County Court Thursday.
It wasn't clear whether his daughter had an attorney to comment on the allegations.
- Airborne SUV in police pursuit lands on Janesville courthouse lawn, police say
- MPD: One hurt after gun involved fight
- Bomb squad called after man arrested for reckless driving
- Janesville police search for suspect after shots fired in hotel
- Students make every penny count to raise money after Hurricane Maria
- DATCP releases 'Gift Card Do's, Don'ts and Gotchas'