Master baker Punky Egan shares a recipe for a holiday cookie favorite: the gingerbread cookie.
Punky's Iced Gingerbread Cookies
- 12 ounces unsulphured molasses
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 6 ounces brown sugar (dark gives a stronger flavor)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1-pound 6-ounces unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice OR cinnamon
- Place molasses, butter, and brown sugar in a saucepan. Heat to melt the butter.
- Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda.
- Return to the heat and cook a minute, or until the mixture becomes foamy.
- Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Place in a mixer bowl. Add flour and spices. Stir to incorporate ingredients.
- Pat into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is cool.
- Roll out dough. Cut with favorite holiday cutters.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-11 minutes or until browned around edges.
- Cool before decorating with royal icing.
This batch makes about 6-7 dozen 3-inch cookies.
Follow instructions on package. Keep icing tightly wrapped.
Color with gel or paste colors.
- Officials identify two men killed in Sheboygan plane crash
- CANCELED: Wisconsin River slow, no-wake order
- Janesville police take extra precautions after fentanyl found in area
- Forged letter criticizes local police chief
- DNR determines several factors led to Janesville fish kill
- Memorial Day travel expected to hit highest rate since 2005