MADISON, Wis. - Republican state Rep. Dale Kooyenga says he is running for state Senate next year.
Kooyenga said Tuesday he is running for the seat being vacated by Republican Sen. Leah Vukmir, of Brookfield. She is running for the U.S. Senate instead of seeking re-election to the state Senate.
Kooyenga had considered running for U.S. Senate but announced last week he was not going for it.
The state Senate district covers parts of Waukesha and Milwaukee counties. Vukmir did not face a Democratic opponent in 2014.
The conservative state Senate district includes three Assembly seats that are all represented by Republicans.
The 38-year-old Kooyenga was first elected to the Assembly in 2010. He is an accountant and lives in Brookfield.
- Paul Ryan 'very excited' about Foxconn
- Vinehout to announce whether she's running for governor
- Paul Ryan discusses tax reform at Harley-Davidson
- Gov. Walker signs $3 billion Foxconn incentives bill
- Walker hints re-election announcement coming in November
- Sen. Johnson announces opening of Madison Constituent Services Office