MADISON, Wis. - Democratic state Sen. Jessica King said she's not giving up on her re-election bid even though unofficial results from Tuesday's election show she trails her Republican challenger.
According to returns tallied by The Associated Press, Republican Rick Gudex leads King by 590 votes in the 18th Senate District.
Gudex has declared victory but King issued a statement Wednesday saying the race is too close to call and she isn't conceding. She said she wants to see the results of the official county canvasses.
A Gudex win would give Republicans an 18-15 advantage in the Senate. A King win would narrow the GOP's edge to one seat, a precarious margin since Sen. Dale Schultz, a moderate Richland Center Republican, has broken ranks with his party on contentious issues in the past.
- Wisconsin budget battle enters voting stage
- Wisconsin AG: Undercover campaign video probe still alive
- Republican bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Records show little GOP feedback to state education plan
- Education accountability bill clears panel, prospects dim
- Gov. Walker hopes Trump's tough talk catches Canada's attention