A recount has concluded Democrat John Lehman defeated incumbent Republican Van Wanggaard in last month's state Senate recall races.
An official canvas following the June 5 elections showed Lehman leading Wanggaard by 834 votes out of nearly 72,000 ballots cast in Racine County's 21st Senate District.
A Lehman victory would give Democrats a one-seat majority in the Senate. Wanggaard requested a recount, but final tallies from the Racine County clerk's office Monday showed Lehman with 36,358 votes and Wanggaard with 35,539, a difference of 819 votes.
But Lehman's victory isn't official until the state Government Accountability Board certifies the results, and Wanggaard campaign officials have hinted they may challenge the final count in court.
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- AG Schimel: Undercover campaign videos reveal no crime
- Trump, Walker discuss dairy dispute in Wisconsin
- Dozen states, RNC file in Wisconsin redistricting case
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers