A recount has concluded Democrat John Lehman defeated incumbent Republican Van Wanggaard in last month's state Senate recall races.
An official canvas following the June 5 elections showed Lehman leading Wanggaard by 834 votes out of nearly 72,000 ballots cast in Racine County's 21st Senate District.
A Lehman victory would give Democrats a one-seat majority in the Senate. Wanggaard requested a recount, but final tallies from the Racine County clerk's office Monday showed Lehman with 36,358 votes and Wanggaard with 35,539, a difference of 819 votes.
But Lehman's victory isn't official until the state Government Accountability Board certifies the results, and Wanggaard campaign officials have hinted they may challenge the final count in court.
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- State Senate passes bill to help cheese plant
- Ryan on Trump differences: 'We have already agreed on our agenda'
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration
- Ryan says he's 'on the same page' with Trump