MADISON, Wis. - Republican Sen. Ron Johnson said he spoken with Democratic Sen.-elect Tammy Baldwin and congratulated her on her victory in Tuesday's election.
Johnson said Wednesday he wants to sit down with Baldwin and discuss areas where they can agree as they prepare to represent Wisconsin together in the U.S. Senate. But Johnson said he agrees that they are about as polar opposite politically as could be.
Johnson is a tea party Republican elected in 2010. Baldwin is a liberal Democrat and the first openly gay candidate ever elected to the Senate.
Baldwin said voters sent a message Tuesday that they are tired of gridlock in Washington with her victory and by re-electing President Barack Obama.
- Ryan on Trump differences: 'We have already agreed on our agenda'
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration
- Ryan says he's 'on the same page' with Trump
- Position cuts, mission shift lead to scaled-back DNR
- New Orleans police chief to meet with Paul Ryan
- State DNR chief urges against breakup of her agency