MADISON, Wis. - Wisconsin Democratic Party Chairman Mike Tate is calling on Republican Senate candidate Tommy Thompson to fire a campaign staffer who emailed and sent a Twitter message linking to Democrat Tammy Baldwin dancing at a gay pride festival.
Tate called on Thompson to fire political director Brian Nemoir on Thursday.
Thompson's campaign spokeswoman Lisa Boothe called the request a desperate move meant to distract voters from Baldwin's record. Nemoir did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
Thompson on Tuesday said Nemoir shouldn't have sent the message. Baldwin's campaign and Tate have called it a divisive, personal attack.
Baldwin is looking to become the first openly gay candidate elected to the Senate.
The video shows her dancing at a 2010 gay pride event on the University of Wisconsin campus.
- Wisconsin AG: Undercover campaign video probe still alive
- Republican bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Records show little GOP feedback to state education plan
- Education accountability bill clears panel, prospects dim
- Gov. Walker hopes Trump's tough talk catches Canada's attention
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases