MADISON, Wis. - Democrats are ripping Republican U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson for supporting Donald Trump despite Trump's predatory remarks about women and allegations he has sexually assaulted a number of women.
Johnson is locked in a tight race with Democrat Russ Feingold. Johnson said Friday that he supports Trump on a number of issues. He added, however, that he wasn't going "to defend the indefensible."
State Rep. Chris Taylor, a Madison Democrat, said on a conference call with reporters Monday that Johnson needs to explain why he's still supporting Trump. She accused Johnson of sending a message that women aren't important.
Johnson campaign spokesman Brian Reisinger didn't immediately respond to an email. Wisconsin GOP spokesman Pat Garrett issued a statement calling Hillary Clinton untrustworthy and asking how Feingold can support her.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Cheesehead-wearing Wisconsinite joins people from across country at inauguration
- Rep. Pocan volunteers instead of attending inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Wisconsin Republicans celebrate in D.C. ahead of Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin's congressional delegation prepares for Trump administration