MADISON, Wis. - Democrats are ripping Republican U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson for supporting Donald Trump despite Trump's predatory remarks about women and allegations he has sexually assaulted a number of women.
Johnson is locked in a tight race with Democrat Russ Feingold. Johnson said Friday that he supports Trump on a number of issues. He added, however, that he wasn't going "to defend the indefensible."
State Rep. Chris Taylor, a Madison Democrat, said on a conference call with reporters Monday that Johnson needs to explain why he's still supporting Trump. She accused Johnson of sending a message that women aren't important.
Johnson campaign spokesman Brian Reisinger didn't immediately respond to an email. Wisconsin GOP spokesman Pat Garrett issued a statement calling Hillary Clinton untrustworthy and asking how Feingold can support her.
- Legislature to reject work requirements for parents, wants final say on drug tests
- Lawmakers reject UW tuition cut, freeze to continue
- Steineke pushes back on Walker's call for quick action on road funding
- Gov. Walker urges Legislature to 'get it done'
- Gov. Walker says he'd be OK without tuition cut
- Lawyers hope to raise indigent defense pay rate