MADISON, Wis. - Democrats are ripping Republican U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson for supporting Donald Trump despite Trump's predatory remarks about women and allegations he has sexually assaulted a number of women.
Johnson is locked in a tight race with Democrat Russ Feingold. Johnson said Friday that he supports Trump on a number of issues. He added, however, that he wasn't going "to defend the indefensible."
State Rep. Chris Taylor, a Madison Democrat, said on a conference call with reporters Monday that Johnson needs to explain why he's still supporting Trump. She accused Johnson of sending a message that women aren't important.
Johnson campaign spokesman Brian Reisinger didn't immediately respond to an email. Wisconsin GOP spokesman Pat Garrett issued a statement calling Hillary Clinton untrustworthy and asking how Feingold can support her.
- Dane County Syrian refugee withdraws request for emergency action on travel ban
- Rep. Pocan hosts town hall
- Wisconsin budget proposal moves forestry division up north
- Madison joins cities, counties opposing travel ban
- State Corrections Dept. unable to cancel $36,800 furniture order
- Trump weighs mobilizing Nat Guard for immigration roundups