MILWAUKEE - Wisconsin's Democratic Party spokesman is apologizing for comparing Republican Gov. Scott Walker with serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer.
Graeme Zielinski made the comments in three tweets after prosecutors announced Friday they closed the John Doe investigation of Gov. Scott Walker's aides.
In one, Zielinski tweeted: "@GovWalker had better lawyers than Jeffrey Dahmer in beating the rap. Clear that he committed crimes."
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported top Democrats called the tweets inappropriate.
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's chief of staff Patrick Curley quoted the mayor as saying the tweets were over the top. Democratic Party Chairman Mike Tate apologized and called the tweets "overzealous and insensitive."
Zielinski has deleted the tweets and apologized over Twitter to Walker and to Dahmer's victims.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Cheesehead-wearing Wisconsinite joins people from across country at inauguration
- Rep. Pocan volunteers instead of attending inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Wisconsin Republicans celebrate in D.C. ahead of Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin's congressional delegation prepares for Trump administration