MILWAUKEE - Wisconsin's Democratic Party spokesman is apologizing for comparing Republican Gov. Scott Walker with serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer.
Graeme Zielinski made the comments in three tweets after prosecutors announced Friday they closed the John Doe investigation of Gov. Scott Walker's aides.
In one, Zielinski tweeted: "@GovWalker had better lawyers than Jeffrey Dahmer in beating the rap. Clear that he committed crimes."
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported top Democrats called the tweets inappropriate.
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's chief of staff Patrick Curley quoted the mayor as saying the tweets were over the top. Democratic Party Chairman Mike Tate apologized and called the tweets "overzealous and insensitive."
Zielinski has deleted the tweets and apologized over Twitter to Walker and to Dahmer's victims.
- Republican bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Records show little GOP feedback to state education plan
- Education accountability bill clears panel, prospects dim
- Gov. Walker hopes Trump's tough talk catches Canada's attention
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Abortion coverage restriction bill for state workers advances