MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett is joining hundreds of mayors from around the country urging President Barack Obama to act quickly on gun-control legislation following last week's Connecticut school massacre.
Barrett is one of the founding members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns. The group formed in 2006 and has grown to more than 750 mayors.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported the group sent a letter to Obama Wednesday asking him to put forward an agenda that will "make it harder for dangerous people to possess guns, and easier for police and prosecutors to crack down on them."
Also on Wednesday, Obama said he had asked his administration to come up with concrete proposals to address gun violence in the country.
- Gov. Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Governor says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- State Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bills to fight homelessness in state up for vote
- State lawmakers urging action on lead poisoning
- Dementia care funding at risk in state budget