PORTAGE, Wis. - Police have identified a man who died Sunday night in a shooing in Portage.
Police said Jason Laack, 22, of rural Rio, was killed around 8 p.m. at the Cattail Lodge on New Pinery Road in Portage.
A suspect in the shooting, Mario Brown Jr., turned himself in to police in Madison around 10 a.m. Monday, police said. Authorities are still searching for one or more acquaintances of Brown in connection with the incident.
Portage police Lt. Daniel Garrigan said the shooting was "targeted."
According to a news release, Brown and the other man threatened at least three individuals, including Laack.
Brown's acquaintance is described as a black male in his early 20s, between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighing 160 pounds with short dreadlocks and should be considered armed and dangerous.
Online court records show that Brown has numerous felony convictions in Dane County, including for robbery, burglary and substantial battery.
Neighbor Amanda Simonds told News 3 that police aren't a common sight at the complex and that the family who lived in the apartment is nice and keeps to themselves.
"Nothing like that has ever happened here. We've been here a couple of months and it's always been pretty quiet," she said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Columbia County deputies at 608-742-4166 or Portage police at 608-742-2174.
- Man accused of causing 'significant head trauma' to 7-week-old baby
- Oregon area community steps forward to build new food pantry
- Panel votes to purge cases from state online court database
- Wisconsin fugitive convicted of kidnapping Michigan student
- UW-Madison: No students believed to be affected by London attacks
- UW's iconic band leader recovers from double bypass