MADISON, Wis. - A 48-year-old Fitchburg woman faces of charges of drunken driving and hitting a police officer after she was stopped in the parking lot in the Wal-Mart parking lot on Madison's West Side.
The Fitchburg woman was arrested in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart after workers at the store said they thought she was intoxicated and drove to the store with a toddler with her.
The incident happened about 6:20 p.m. on Saturday at the Wal-Mart in the 7200 block of Watts Road.
According to police, workers noticed Edna Hatch after she arrived at the store and were concerned about the 2-year-old with her that she was babysitting. Hatch left the store with the 2-year-old, despite the efforts of workers, who called police.
Police said workers told them it took Hatch 15 minutes to find her car, by which time, police officers had arrived. Police stopped her before she was able to drive away. Police said when they detained Hatch, her speech was heavily slurred.
Police said Hatch punched the officer while uttering a number of expletives in front of the 2-year-old. The child was turned over to a trusted adult.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says