Police are finally getting some answers in the investigation of a fire that damaged playground equipment at a Madison elementary school last week.
The Madison Police Department said a 17-year-old boy admitted to starting the fire at Randall Elementary. According to the report he told police the fire started after he used fireworks in a high school prom prank.
Last week MPD and Madison firefighters were called to the elementary school at 1802 Regent St. around 12:30 a.m. after a citizen noticed the fire. After extinguishing the flames, firefighters noticed the burnt material spelled "?PROM?"
They also found pieces of fireworks at the scene. The incident report said tire chips used in the playground may have contributed to the fire.
The report also said the boy was apologetic about the accident. No charges have been filed. Detectives and the Dane County District Attorney's office are expected to meet to discuss charges.