PLATTEVILLE - Chas Cross scored 20 points to lead the UW-Platteville men's basketball team to a 70-53 win over UW-Stout in the first round of the WIAC tournament in Platteville Wednesday night.
The Pioneers broke the game open with an 18-0 run in the first half on the way to building a 34-20 halftime lead.
Stout closed to within 10, 41-31 with 14 minutes left, but Platteville scored five straight points to open the lead again.
Stoughton's Eric Gerber scored 17 for Platteville. Jimmy Whitehead led Stout with 16 points.
The Pioneers shot 65 percent from the field and outscored Stout in points in the paint 22-4.
The WIAC men's basketball semifinals will be played Friday. #4 Platteville travels to #1 Stevens Point, while #3 La Crosse plays at #2 Whitewater.
The winners of those games play for the WIAC Championship at the site of the highest remaining seed Sunday afternoon.
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs
- Warmer weather creates a bumpy ride for drivers
- 3 teens arrested in connection to several vandalism cases
- UW-Whitewater lowers flag for student killed in crash
- Man says Milwaukee sheriff Clarke detained him after run-in