WEST BARABOO, Wis. - The person killed after being hit by a vehicle while crossing Highway 12 last weekend has been identified as an Illinois woman.
The Sauk County Communications Center was notified at 10:37 p.m. on Saturday of a vehicle that hit a pedestrian on U.S. Highway 12 at Berkley Boulevard in the Village of West Baraboo.
The initial investigation revealed that 18-year-old Kedzie R. McCumber, of Merrimac, was driving southbound on U.S. Highway 12 when 23-year-old Emily R. Snyder, of Worth, Illinois, walked into the highway from a private business driveway on the west side of the road. She was traveling east and was not in a designated crosswalk.
The Toyota struck Snyder while the driver was braking, the Sauk County Sheriff's Office said. Snyder died at the scene.
The sheriff's office originally said the driver did not appear to be speeding or impaired, and that the pedestrian appeared to be impaired and moved suddenly into traffic.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Rain, winds dampen season at Yahara Hills Golf Course
- Columbia County deputies: 2 killed when lawn mower, motorcycle collide
- Milwaukee police investigate fatal shooting of 6-year-old
- Wisconsin school district changes staff social media policy
- Ashwaubenon officer hit by possible drunk driver
- Walker tours flooding damage in Cassville