Some Republicans in the Wisconsin Legislature are signaling a willingness to consider UW requests for flexibility on the current tuition freeze and we are encouraged and support further consideration of the proposals.
Controlling tuition at the UW has been a key feature of Gov. Scott Walker’s budgeting and he has again proposed keeping flat and eventually lowering tuition through additional state funding.
Some lawmakers, including Republican Rep. John Nygren, who co-chairs the Joint Finance Committee, have indicated a willingness to give the UW Board of Regents more flexibility in setting tuition levels.
We think that’s appropriate. We think setting tuition is the Regents job. And we think the Legislature micro-manages the UW too much as it is.
This open mindedness and willingness to consider alternatives is refreshing and welcome and we appreciate it.
- Thieves target academic offices in string of textbooks thefts, officials say
- Conservation group reacts after judge allows high-impact uses at Sauk Prairie rec area
- Driver reverses into trooper vehicle during traffic stop, officials say
- Bicyclist injured in crash with semi, Dodge County officials say
- Consumer Reports: Pet-proof your house
- Beloit police officers gear up to wear body cameras in schools