Some Republicans in the Wisconsin Legislature are signaling a willingness to consider UW requests for flexibility on the current tuition freeze and we are encouraged and support further consideration of the proposals.
Controlling tuition at the UW has been a key feature of Gov. Scott Walker’s budgeting and he has again proposed keeping flat and eventually lowering tuition through additional state funding.
Some lawmakers, including Republican Rep. John Nygren, who co-chairs the Joint Finance Committee, have indicated a willingness to give the UW Board of Regents more flexibility in setting tuition levels.
We think that’s appropriate. We think setting tuition is the Regents job. And we think the Legislature micro-manages the UW too much as it is.
This open mindedness and willingness to consider alternatives is refreshing and welcome and we appreciate it.
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say