It has been very heartening to see the support for Dane County’s remarkable parks since the group of Friends the Dane County Parks kicked off an endowment raising effort three years ago.
Four hundred thousand dollars of the initial $500,000 goal has been raised, thanks to generous support from the Madison Community Foundation and hundreds of donors. County Executive Joe Parisi has been a staunch supporter, too.
Next week, the Friends group will celebrate one of the most impressive new parks developments to date, the opening of the 2 1/2-mile Lower Yahara River Trail. A special fundraising preview of the 2018 Parks and Trails Unite Festival will be held at the Lussier Family Heritage Center on Sept.20, and you’re invited. The new bridge and trail are remarkable in both their construction and the collaborative support of partners like the Ho Chunk Nation and are wonderful examples of what we can look forward to as the Friends endowment grows.
- Madison considers 1 percent hotel room tax hike
- MPD: Police search for suspect following possible shots fired
- Review: 'American Assassin' as generic as it gets in its genre
- DAIS shines lantern on domestic violence in light of homicide
- Police respond to car, pedestrian crash in DeForest
- Man pistol-whipped on the east side