This week both city of Madison and Dane County governments moved ahead with planning for redevelopments that could alter the city landscape for generations.
The city proposed changes to the intersection of John Nolen Drive and Blair, East Wilson and Williamson Streets. And the county moved forward a proposal to redevelop the Alliant Energy Center.
Both approvals are preliminary and require further action. It seems to us the county proposal is structured to allow for creative, innovative, big-picture possibilities for the Alliant Center, a big swath of land surrounding it and the corridor along John Nolen Drive to Monona Terrace. We hope that’s true.
Likewise, we trust the city’s initial proposal does not foreclose on similar big picture plans for the corridor from Monona Terrace to Blair Street to East Washington Avenue and everything in between.
These are two of the most important and vital parcels of land on the isthmus. Let’s keep all our options open for the biggest, best plans we can come up with.
- Carjacker fatally shot by La Crosse police was felon
- Man arrested for ‘inappropriate activities' in restaurant bathroom, police say
- Stranger asks 8-year-old to get into car; Oregon PD investigate
- Maintenance worker dies in elevator fall at hotel
- Chips get suited for Packers fans
- Franklin residents worry development will endanger lake