Spending your days trying to scam people out of money must be fulfilling in some tortured way. The people in this line of work are "skilled actors," according to those who track them and try to stop them like the head of Iowa's Consumer Protection Division, Bill Brauch.
Those who read this regularly know I value the creativity behind some of these solicitations and wish that these people would work in corporate public relations since their ideas are top-notch. However, there are times, like in the email below, that I find the tactics to be lower than low, to be shallower than a 7-day-old puddle in the desert.
For one thing, it's implausible to believe that anyone will "find" you online to offer you a cut of millions of dollars. To quote Ebenezer Essoka who sent me today's submission, "I suspect that this email will be a surprise to you."
Further though, the thing that bothers me about emails like this is that it takes a real person's death and tries to exploit it. Christian Eich was a former executive with the BMW car company who died in a July 2000 plane crash.
Don't click on Ebenezer's link but do your own Google search of Christian Eich and you'll see numerous other effort to monetize Mr. Eich's death. That's just scummy. I know that's not a technical term or even a journalistic one, but it simply feels right for something like this.
It's nice that he's offering me 30% of a fake pile of money, but just hit delete.
From: Ebenezer Essoka [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 6:51 AM
Subject: Contact for more details
Greetings, I suspect that this email will be a surprise to you, but it is true. During our last annual inspections/check routines of all various bank accounts in my bank(Standard Chartered Bank of South Africa) where I work, an account was found which has been dormant, with an enormous sum of $ 14,300.00 (fourteen million three hundred thousand U.S. dollars) which was deposited by one late Mr. Christian Eich, he was a customer in our bank
I and my colleagues are looking for a trusted and honest partner that will help us receive this funds.
be sure this transaction is risk free
You can read more about Late Mr. Christian Eich on the below link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/859479.stm
From our investigation we found out that the late Mr Christian Eich has no beneficiary or next of kin to claim these Funds (US$ 14,300,000.00).
We dont mind to share on the ratio of 30 70, you will take 30% of the total sum, while the remaining 70% is for me and my colleagues.
If your are interested in our proposal send an email to me so i can reply your mail with more details concerning this transaction.
If you accept our offer and to work with us, I will be delighted to familiarize you with the details and make arrange for our meeting in Europe.
you have to treat this transaction very confidential