A Madison teenager is accused of stealing a package from an east Madison porch Tuesday afternoon.
Madison police said a neighbor contacted the department at 4:21 p.m. to report witnessing "porch pirating" taking place at a nearby Waubesa Street home.
The caller saw a young man take a package that had just been delivered and was able to provide a good description, according to the report. An officer spotted a man matching the description who was walking on North Marquette Street.
Police said he was in possession of a brand new cellphone, worth more than $400, that had been in the package stolen from the porch.
Police arrested 19-year-old Samuel F. Spencer on suspicion of theft, obstructing and felony bail jumping.
- UW-Madison chosen to test autonomous vehicles
- Woman pinned in van after crash with ambulance on Hwy. 12
- Increase in garage burglaries reported in Sun Prairie
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child in Wis. arrested in NY
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter