About 900 civilian employees are returning to work at Fort McCoy even though the federal government shutdown continues.
The U.S. Department of Defense is ending furloughs for all civilian employees who contribute to the readiness of service members.
Fort spokeswoman Linda Fournier said training for 2,200 National Guard and Reserve troops had to be canceled because civilian employees were furloughed. The La Crosse Tribune reported another 600 civilian employees stayed on the job because they're responsible for safety and security and contract work.
The majority of Wisconsin’s National Guard technicians were approved to return to work Monday, according to a release.
Nine categories of technicians will remain on furlough, officials said. The categories include legislative and public affairs, commercial account/travel account/defense travel system management, auditors and internal review, inspector general, website management, schools management, strategic planning, army communities of excellence management and State Partnership for Peace Program management.
According to the release, technicians that are still on furlough will not be able to return until Congress passes a defense authorization act, a continuing resolution or further legislation to fully fund the armed forces.
“Based on this new guidance, we are able to recall a majority, but not all, of our civilian technicians,” Maj. Gen. Donald Dunbar, Wisconsin adjutant general, said in the release. “All of our employees are valued and our inability to recall some of our technicians does not reflect the importance of work they do for the Wisconsin National Guard.”
Supervisors contacted their employees to let them know if they fell into of the nine categories that will remain on furlough, officials said. The first task upon returning to work will be to establish accountability for all employees and to restart any processes shut down last week on the first day of the furlough.