MADISON, Wis. - Gov. Scott Walker said he is confident that mining company Gogebic Taconite will return to Wisconsin if the Legislature passes a bill making it easier for them to open an iron ore mine.
Walker made his comments Wednesday after a speech at Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce, which has advocated for passage of a mining bill.
The Legislature could not reach agreement on a mining bill last year. Walker drew applause at his speech when he mentioned the need to pass a bill, saying it would bring thousands of jobs to northern Wisconsin where the mine would be located.
Florida-based Gogebic said it was giving up on the mine after the bill failed. But Walker said he thinks it
would come back if a bill similar to last year's passes.
- Today is tax day. Here's what you need to know
- Paul Allen pledges $30 million to house Seattle's homeless
- How much would fictional houses cost in real life?
- Trump administration launches investigation into aluminum imports
- Billionaires like Trump benefit under Trump tax plan
- Economy is starting slow under Trump