MADISON, Wis. - Firefighters battled an early-morning fire that destroyed a historical building on Madison's East Side on Friday.
VIDEO: Watch The Report
Firefighters received a call at about 2:30 a.m. regarding flames shooting out of a building located in the 1700 block of Commercial Avenue.
The multi-use building, which was once a railroad roundhouse, includes warehouses and offices for Apex Property Management, Warren Heating and a software company called Human Head Studios.
When crews arrived, they said that there were flames shooting through the roof on the back half of the building. Firefighters tried to contain the massive blaze to that part of the building, WISC-TV reported.
"Fortunately all of our file cabinets and servers are up at the front of the building and the fire was contained in the back. We were very fortunate. I was a nervous wreck on my drive here thinking about that," said Bruce Bosben, a business owner.
Fire officials said that there are no injuries.
Police said that they believe the fire started in the rear storage area of the building. The damage is estimated at about $750,000, WISC-TV reported.
Authorities said that the cause remains under investigation.
- Shirtless female toddler on splash pad sparks debate
- Teacher confesses to sex with student in classroom
- Madison police find bullet in apartment on Russett Road
- Madison police investigate shots fired, crash
- Madison police investigating armed robbery at Oakcrest Tavern
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam