Job Title: Web Editor
Reports To: Managing Editor
Date Created / Revised: 10/20/2016
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary of Job Objective: Madison Magazine's Web Editor has strong technical and digital skills for web and mobile combined with the editorial skills of a journalist. This position requires a combination of digital, journalistic and organizational skills coupled with the ability to prioritize, multitask, complete tasks quickly and meet deadlines. Among the desired traits of the Web Editor are enthusiasm for working for a vibrant city-regional magazine, curiosity, motivation, dependability, strong writing and grammar skills, knowledge of AP Style and the ability to create content for the web. This is an hourly position of 20 hours per week with the occasional flexibility for more hours, depending on the week and the workload.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage content on madisonmagazine.com.
2. Turn print magazine stories into dynamic pieces on madisonmagazine.com through eye-catching art, interesting layouts and web-friendly headlines and deckheads.
3. Work with editors and design team to find creative ways to present multimedia content on desktop, mobile and tablet.
4. Post stories and blog entries to the web.
5. Monitor web metrics and reader engagement.
6. Write stories (a mix of shorter and longer features) for website and print issue.
7. Keep content fresh on the website, including writing short items on timely topics of interest to our readers.
8. Carry out social media strategy and maintain the magazine's voice across social media platforms.
9. Oversee dining guide and work with intern to update content on the web.
10. Oversee the editorial side of e-newsletters and work with intern on completion.
11. Work with the editorial team on production, including proofreading copy.
12. Proofread web content and fix typos, mistakes and other glitches before content is published.
13. Maintain institutional web presence, including About Us and other related pages.
14. Assist with other duties as assigned.
-Strong writing and grammar skills
-Knowledge of AP writing style
-Digital, journalistic, and organizational skill
-Ability to prioritize, multitask, and complete tasks quickly to meet deadlines
-Enthusiasm for working for a vibrant city-regional magazine
-Curiosity, motivations, dependability, and ability to create content for the web
Physical Demands and Environment:
Work performed in traditional office environment
Occasional work at remote locations to assist with events
Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 20 lbs
Ability to use telephone and computer equipment
Please send a resume, cover letter and three clips or work samples, preferably published samples. To submit samples, please provide three URLs (with the titles of each) to find them online. If they are not published online, please provide the samples in the form of a Word Document. Send all items to: Editor Karen Lincoln Michel, firstname.lastname@example.org
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, qualifications, or working conditions associated with this position.
- Wisconsin school advocates pushing for more money
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother