MINNEAPOLIS - Xcel Energy Inc. is sending crews to help restore electricity in Iowa and Wisconsin after a major winter storm hit the Midwest.
Xcel says 12 employees and a manager volunteered to leave Friday morning from the Twin Cities to help restore power in the Des Moines, Iowa, area. The crews will join up with four workers from Faribault and Mankato before heading south.
Mid-American Energy asked Minneapolis-based Xcel to help restore service to an estimated 9,500 customers in the Des Moines area.
Meanwhile, eight Xcel employees and a manager left from Eau Claire, Wis., on Friday. They will join up with two workers from Sparta, Wis., before traveling to Madison, Wis., to help Madison Gas and Electric restore service to an estimated 1,800 customers.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes