MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Police Department said an armed man fled empty-handed from an Allied Drive apartment Tuesday night after the 69-year-old resident grabbed a metal walking cane and began swinging at him.
The victim and her 79-year-old husband were both home when the stranger entered through the front door at about 11:16 p.m. Police said he pointed a handgun at the couple and demanded money.
The man and woman told police they were not injured, although the 79-year-old said he had been pushed onto a couch.
According to the report, the intruder was described as a black man between 5 feet 8 inches and 5 feet 10 inches tall, and he was clean-shaven with short hair. Police said he was wearing a black shirt and gray basketball shorts and had a black T-shirt over his head.
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash injures 3
- Man arrested on suspicion of 4th OWI
- Former president George H.W. Bush hospitalized
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap