LOWELL, Wis. - Authorities said a Dodge County woman was killed while walking her pets on the railroad tracks Saturday morning.
The Dodge County Sheriff's Department said 61-year-old Juanita Payton and her two dogs were walking south on the railroad tracks near the intersection of Blackbird and Chapel roads in Lowell. At about 10:18 a.m., she was struck by a train traveling south on the Union Pacific Railroad tracks.
Payton was pronounced dead at the scene by the Dodge County Medical Examiner's Office, the release said. The two dogs were also killed, the sheriff's department said.
The sheriff's department said the incident was still under investigation Saturday afternoon.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says