WAUSAU, Wis. - A Wisconsin woman has pleaded not guilty to charges she tortured and killed her boyfriend's dog.
Twenty-year-old Sean Janas of Wausau entered her plea Monday in Marathon County court.
WAOW-TV reported a group of protesters, some with their dogs, gathered outside the courthouse during Janas' appearance. The protesters have called on prosecutors to seek the maximum penalties against Janas, if she is convicted.
Prosecutors said Janas poisoned her boyfriend's dog, a German shepherd-Labrador mix named Mary, and tortured the animal before the 4-year-old dog died in June.
Janas remains in jail with bond set at $2,500.
- Review: MSO, APT craft annual 'Beyond the Score' concert
- Ryan meets in Janesville with police chiefs from across US
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say