WAUSAU, Wis. - A Wisconsin woman has pleaded not guilty to charges she tortured and killed her boyfriend's dog.
Twenty-year-old Sean Janas of Wausau entered her plea Monday in Marathon County court.
WAOW-TV reported a group of protesters, some with their dogs, gathered outside the courthouse during Janas' appearance. The protesters have called on prosecutors to seek the maximum penalties against Janas, if she is convicted.
Prosecutors said Janas poisoned her boyfriend's dog, a German shepherd-Labrador mix named Mary, and tortured the animal before the 4-year-old dog died in June.
Janas remains in jail with bond set at $2,500.
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart